Saturday, December 5, 2009

What's the Leftover Half-life?

Thanksgiving leftovers for breakfast. Partial ewww. Maybe.


Quiche (made last night) for dinner. 


No cooking today but leftovers appeared anyway. From my mom.

It's only been eight days since Thanksgiving. Every year I pledge to polish off the leftovers. Not all by myself; as a family. Either way, it never seems to happen.

What is the time limit on leftovers, anyway? Three days? A week?

I have a hard time eating any thing more than seven days old.

But this morning I sucked it up and had yams in a lime-jalapeno curry and a nummy wild rice salad that is my current favorite. You know; one of those things you make every week for a month until someone protests.

Yesterday I made my first quiche. It took two hours to assemble it. I don't think it should take that long. I need more practice.

There were mashed potato crusts to be made, carrots and spinach to be chopped and pre-steamed.  Shitake mushrooms and garlic to sauté, manchego cheese to grate. Pepper to grind. Real high level prep stuff.

But our schedule got all bogged down last night so we didn't get to taste it. Operating under the theory that quiche, like soup, tastes better the second day I was looking forward to trying it tonight.

I give it a "meh" with caveats. I would try it again but this time with more interesting cheese and a lot more ground pepper. And maybe some cayenne.

I was feeling pretty good about my lack of leftover creation today until I got to Mom's. She has done a ton of babysitting over the last month.

When I picked up The Boy today she offered me a chunk of turkey loin. After all the work she's done, I felt like I had to accept. And I'm not yet up to the task of explaining my new approach to leftovers.

Anyone else here of a turkey loin. I had no idea turkeys had much of a loin. I choose not to examine this new idea too closely.

So while I didn't create a leftover myself, I did bring one into my house. Sigh.

Eileen

No comments:

Post a Comment